Worth 2 Participation Points
Storify is a tool for curation. See BillyPenn’s Storify on Pope visit to Philadelphia.
The main goal of the assignment is to practice the key aspects of journalistic curation, including how to:
- Identify essential pieces information
- Evaluate sources and facts (are they reliable?)
- Provide context to social media posts
- Assemble a summary or narrative of a news story that makes sense of a chaotic bunch of information
- Play to the strengths of individual media elements (text, photos, sound, video, graphics) to create the most compelling content
- Pay attention to contiguity – how individual media elements (text, photos, sound, video, graphics) relate to each other
Here is the assignment…
Pick one of the following stories to curate:
1. On Sunday, Sept. 24, the NFL was under the political microscope as players and coaches considered whether or not to stand or kneel during the National Anthem. Tensions were stoked by a rally given by President Trump on Friday night where he said, “I would love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field right now, he’s fired.'” Curate a story that gathers the most interesting aspects of Trump’s comments, player/coach/owner responses on social media and elsewhere, and what actually transpired across the NFL on Sunday and the political fallout.
2. Last summer the Olympics were held in Rio, and there was a lot of controversy surrounding the choice. Curate a story that examines this controversy. Why were people against holding the Olympics in Rio? Was it because of Zika? Was it economic or ecological in nature? Who were some of the loudest voices of opposition? How did social media play a role? Did it impact Olympic competition or viewership? And after all was said and done, did this controversy have any lasting impact on the games? Did everything go smoothly or were their hiccups?
3. Hurricane Maria left a devastating impact on Puerto Rico last week. There was unprecedented loss of infrastructure and possibly lives, and the U.S. territory is still reeling from the storm. Curate a story that takes us from the days leading up to the hurricane to the impact and aftermath. Are there any videos or photos of the storm damage? Give some numbers: Property lost? Lives lost? Injuries? How long will it take to recover? And what is the U.S. government doing to assist?
For this curation assignment, you are required to:
Write a compelling headline and a short summary at the top of your Storify. Your headline should include key words for search, convey the main point of your Storify, and encourage the reader to continue.
Explain the 5 Ws of the story. Use text to lead into your storify and to introduce/connect/clarify the media elements.
Include at least six (6) sources from at least three (3) different social media platforms(Twitter, Google News, YouTube, etc).
Include at least two (2) visuals – photos, video. Each visual must be relevant and provide valuable insight or information to your topic.
Your completed Storify should summarize the key aspects of story, provide compelling social media content, and provide links to learn more.
- Go to Storify.com to sign up for an account. If you log in with a Twitter account it will connect to those accounts.
- Click on New Story button.
- This will take you to the “Create a Story” screen. The left-hand side is where you build the story and the right-hand side of the screen contains a list of social media elements. You can search for content from Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Flickr, Google, RSS feeds and there’s also an option to paste in specific urls. The “+” sign at the right will reveal more options.
- Use the search features to find the best information from different sources. You can explore them and then drag and drop into your timeline.
- You can add text to introduce individual media elements or to advance the summary or narrative.
- You can rearrange the order of your elements as you go.
- When you are finished compiling your Storify, write your headline and 100 word summary at the top.
- Hit “Publish” (blue button at the top of the toolbar)
- Email me a link to your Storify.
(This assignment was adapted from resources by Millerbh and Kelly Fincham)